Friday, August 11, 2006

Thoughts

I have been criticised quite a few times for preaching a lot and not practising whatever I preach. And I myself find apparent contradictions between what I say and how I behave and talk. Last night when I thought over it, I got an answer to these, an answer which convinced me.

We keep getting thoughts in our minds always, most of which are about our day to day activities, our worries, our problems, our desires, etc. But in between these thoughts we do get some positive ones, those which are very profound and those that could change our life. Now when I get such thoughts, I consider it a kind of realisation and these thoughts guide me towards betterment as a human being. When I get such thoughts, I reflect over them and see how I can put them into practice. These thoughts are not only got by my own effort but also got from being with people who are always positive. They influence my thoughts a great deal. Now, when I try to put these thoughts into practice, there are naturally certain difficulties. The ego doesn't co-operate and it acts as a hindrance. When I begin to practise and experience the benefit a little, I understand that such thoughts are really powerful and they can change one's life. But I wouldn't obviously have reached a stage of perfection in putting such thoughts to practice. Meanwhile since such thoughts are noble, I feel like sharing them with some close people so that they might also enjoy the benefits of putting such thoughts to practice. Why should they wait for me to attain a state of perfection before they put them into practice? Probably the others can practise much more easily than me because their ego might co-operate. But when they see me talk about these thoughts, they find contradictions between what I say and the way I behave and are driven away by the very thought itself. They start to believe that such thoughts are very ideal and cannot be practised by anyone. They might probably even think that these thoughts are not applicable to people like them and are applicable only to Mahatmas. Thus my entire attempt to make them understand that it would be better if we practise living in a particular manner becomes futile. Unfortunately, we don't realise that Mahatmas are not born but are made. Only a common man becomes a Mahatma. The only thing one needs to do is to put in some practice.

4 Comments:

Blogger Benkiman said...

one thing i want to clarify is that these are not mere jugglery of words. i don't want people to just appreciate the words and lose out on the essence, if at all there is any.

and a common misconception is that people feel that mahatmas are those people who become really popular and do service to the world. mahatma actually means mahat atma, an expanded soul. even a beggar on a street can be a mahatma, the only thing is that people wont know that he is. so it is not impossible for every one in this world to become mahatmas.

6:18 AM, August 12, 2006  
Blogger The Ilusionist said...

absolutely no comments...!!!

9:27 AM, August 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! it sounds totally non- flippant.. and makes a truckload of sense.. keep up the good work of preaching.im certainly not judging you..

6:51 AM, August 19, 2006  
Blogger The Ignoramus said...

thoughts at the intellectual level are like the headlight of the vehicle... they reach any place before the vehicle itself. Some people have a powerful intellect which can grasp a lot. For them, the light is on high beam. You see such people talk of the noblest of things, but live a pathetic life of a normal being, simply because their intellect is far ahead of them.

It would be a grave mistake on our part if we think we are at the limits which the headlight reaches!!

I used to make that mistake, and continue to make that mistake often. Only difference, I realise more often that I am mistaken.

12:37 AM, August 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home