Sunday, April 09, 2006

Coincidence

It was the sixth time out of the last 8 travels between Chennai and Bangalore that a baby was present in the compartment(cubicle) in which I had a seat. Thrice in Lalbagh Exp, once in Brindavan , once by Kaveri Exp and once when I was travelling by bus when there was a baby in the seat right behind me. Is there any attraction for babies towards me?


You might say it would be fun looking at the baby and enjoying the way it behaves. But is it really true? The first two times when I was travelling by Lalbagh Exp and the time I was in Brindavan Exp(These two trains are day trains and have only Second sittin), the babies were probably about 6 months old and were making a hell lot of noise. I felt pity on the mother who could not manage with the little space in the crowded train and so, for most part of my travel I never sat on my seat and stood near the door so that the mother had enough space to feed the baby and put it to sleep. On one occasion, I told the mother it would be more comfortable for her to travel by a night train because she would have a berth of her own. She immediately told me that if I had experienced travelling with a baby during the night, then I wouldn't be telling this. It happened just as what she said. The next time I travelled by Kaveri Exp, a night train, I yet again came across a couple with their baby in the same cubicle as mine. It was the worst night travel I ever had. I, being extremely sensitive to sound, could not sleep even for 15 minutes continuously. The baby was crying and shouting all through the night. The mother was literally crying because of her guilt of having to trouble others. I was empathising with the couple but could do nothing to help them. This weekend when I went home by Lalbagh, it was not a single baby but 4 kids around the age of 4-5. Oh my God. They were jumping around and playing as if it were a playground. But this time I really enjoyed the way they were playing. They were simply awesome. The only time I had no trouble travelling with babies was the time I travelled by bus. I could sleep very well as the baby too slept well.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nambave mudiyalla....aana thukam varalannu sonna adu kekka santoshama irundadu....

6:06 AM, August 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home