Friday, March 31, 2006

Possessiveness

Yesterday, a freshie of my hostel came to me and asked for my cycle key (I have a racing cycle) because he wanted to practise for the inter-hostel cycling event. I, immediately gave hime my cycle even without asking his room number or name. He later came to me faithfully and gave me his cycle key and asked me to use his and told me that he would return my keys once the practice is over.

It has been two days since I have touched my cycle. I couldn't meet this boy and get back my cycle key. Although I have one cycle for use which is in pretty good condition, I have been feeling quite restless because I wanted to use only my cycle. This restlessness clearly indicates to me that I am very possessive of my cycle which I never realized until today. What an unnecessary attachment I have developed towards this cycle ! I had at one point of time decided that I would tell him that his cycle is very painful to ride and that I wanted my cycle back. This attachment has driven me to a state of telling lies unnecessarily at my mental level. A thought conceived in the mind is as bad as doing the action itself.

You might consider this a very trivial thing. But this is how most of our attachments lead us to a state of mental unrest and dissatisfaction.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gaju Krishna said...

Yeah, this is something that gets me meditative often. The pinnacle of happiness is reached when one realises that everything in this world is truly theirs. But the 'identity' ought to be expanded beyond the shackling confines of the ego. It's a path ridden with lots of temptations... Guess will write a post on this someday

5:19 AM, April 04, 2006  
Blogger Benkiman said...

"The pinnacle of happiness is reached when one realises that everything in this world is truly theirs"

"Theirs" here has to be understood properly. If you mean that everything is attached to your "I", then I don't agree with you but if you feel that everything belongs to your "spirit", then I totally agree with you.
So, here I would say it better to understand that nothing belongs to me but everything belongs to the Spirit inside me.

But this is all theory. The difficulty lies in how effectively you are able to put into practice. That is why I don't want to talk philosophy. If you are able to put into practice and gain knowledge then tell your experience.

5:47 PM, April 04, 2006  
Blogger Gaju Krishna said...

I only talk of things I have experienced and as you correctly guessed when I say 'I' in the plenary sense it is the spirit. Do me a favour and remove the word verfication

11:12 AM, May 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home